You are here

2017 Wisconsin Act 11 - Effective June 23, 2017,

  • 16 and 17 year olds do NOT have to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work.
  • The law makes no changes to the requirements for minors younger than 16.  Minors younger than 16 will need to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work.

MMSD Schools are Closed at this time and students will need to obtain a work permit from one of the following offices.  (We suggest that you call ahead to check on office hours.):

Commonwealth Development

1501 Williamson Street


Briarpatch Youth Services

2720 Rimrock Road


ALCS Abundant Life School

4901 E Buckeye Road


Please note that students will need to bring the following items:

  • An ID issued by the state (birth certificate, baptismal certificate, driver’s license, state ID or previous child labor permit),
  • A letter from the employer saying he/she have hired you and lists the nature of the business, your job duties, hours of work, and time of day you will work.
  • A letter from parent/guardian giving student permission to accept the job (this may be a parent note or signature on the employer’s letter),
  • A Social Security card, or verification of number with insurance or tax form and
  • $10