MMSD athletic department and community:
Late in the afternoon of March 11th Dane County school districts received guidance from Madison Dane County Public Health.
In sum, they recommend:
- Keeping schools open unless there has been a confirmed case of a student or staff member in a school.
- Cancelling or postponing large events and gatherings.
- People at a higher risk of illness staying home and away from large groups.
- Postponing or cancelling personal travel to travel areas with coronavirus, including during spring break.
- Implementing social distancing measures.
What does this mean for athletics? Again, I will reinforce that the current situation could change quickly and drastically as new information is confirmed and public health organizations continue to release guidance.
- We are considering measures to complete winter competitions without audiences
- The City Indoor and West relays track invites have been cancelled in the UW Shell based upon their policy recently enacted
- Practices will be allowed to continue when schools are open
- If coaches or student athletes travel over Spring Break or other times to states with more than 10 confirmed cases they will not be allowed to attend school or practice for 14 days upon return. Lists of these countries and states continue to be updated (as of 9:30pm 3/11 this includes Iowa, Illinois, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Texas, Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington). Any student, staff member, volunteer or visitor who has traveled to these areas should not be allowed into the school, and should contact their health care provider. Public Health recommends a 14-day quarantine upon return from any of these countries or states.
- We are working on contingency plans to reconfigure scheduling of spring sports if long term cancellation occurs using WIAA guidance
- Sectional boys basketball plan
I appreciate your continued patience, support, understanding, and flexibility through this challenging time. I will update again as soon as I have new confirmed information.
Jeremy Schlitz, CAA
MMSD District athletic director