The Madison Metropolitan School District Athletics Program is considered an integral part of the secondary educational program. Our vision is that MMSD athletics provides equitable programming opportunities that support the District’s vision to prepare all students for college, career, and community.
Athletics play an integral role in community building and identity of Madison schools and support the development of commitment, reliability, honesty, integrity, accountability, and perseverance in each of our student athletes. Through participation in co-curricular athletics programs, students strive to become better students, athletes, leaders, and citizens.
Our purpose is to provide unique educational experiences that will contribute to the development of better citizens. Emphasis is upon the teaching "through" athletics in addition to teaching the "skills of" athletics.
The Madison athletic program provides a wide range of opportunities for all students who desire to participate in Interscholastic athletics at Madison high schools.
Memorial Spartan Athletics
If your child will be participating on any of Memorial’s athletic teams, you and your son or daughter will be required to sign a form on the Athletic Permit Card indicating that he/she desires to participate in interscholastic athletics and will adhere to the policies of the Athletic Code which are in effect twelve months of the year. Memorial’s Athletic Code puts great emphasis on parental involvement. In fact, any Code violation that is self or family reported to any Memorial staff member, prior to staff awareness of the violation, may result in up to a 50% reduction of the normal suspension penalty. Because our Code places a high premium on honesty and integrity, it is very important that you take the time to read and discuss the Athletic Code section of the Student, Staff and Parent Handbook at the beginning of the sports season. It would also be beneficial to discuss within your family the section entitled “Athletics – Spectator Behavior.”
Helpful Links for Athletes, Parents, Staff and Spartans Fans
- October 2021: Athletics Newsletter
What do I need in order to sign up for a sport?
- Athletic Eligibility Forms - online forms for sport registration- one copy from parent/guardian, one copy from student-athlete- must sign in using IC and Parent Portal credentials
- WIAA Physical Card and Alternate Year Card - download and print- exact same content as Green and Yellow cards in Athletics Office- you DO NOT need to fill out the same card if you have printed/filled out these forms!
Other helpful links for Spartan Athletes and Spartan Fans
JMM Spirit Store – For Memorial Spartan Athletics and Fan Gear! Open the first two weeks of each month. Contact ThinkIt Then InkIt for more details and customer service.
- Athletic Code All families and student-athletes are responsible for making themselves familiar with these expectations.
May 2021: Athletics Newsletter
MMSD Athletics Covid Health and Safety Guidance For The Fall Season:
- MMSD Athletics will follow PHMDC School Guidelines related to screening, quarantining. and suspension of group activities.
- WIAA and public health guidance will be followed and continue to be updated
- Vaccination is strongly recommended.
- Students who are NOT vaccinated who have a COVID exposure will be required to quarantine (removed from practice and games) for 10 days.
- Vaccinated Student-Athletes who have a COVID exposure will not be required to quarantine (removed from practice and games).
- All existing mitigation procedures will stay in place regarding hygiene, screening, contact tracing, and record keeping of participants.
- Masking is required at all times during any transportation via bus, van, rental vehicle.